Imbler was platted on Feb. 2, 1891, by Jesse Imbler, who gave the city a portion of his farmland. The city was designed with a wide Main Street to accommodate market transport to the Union Pacific Railroad depot along the east side of the plat. Imbler's agrarian economy clustered around the rail line. In years past, the community included a flour mill, grain elevators, fruit packing sheds, farms and orchards, as well as a mill and box factory.
The orchards that once surrounded Imbler have been replaced with grass seed crops, producing high quality grass seed marketed worldwide and giving the little town the nickname of "The Grass Seed Capital of the World." Today, Imbler is home to several small businesses, including a market where shoppers can purchase world-famous pepperoni by the foot or by the yard.